Pages

Saturday, July 7, 2018

Historic City of Ayutthaya (Thailand - UNESCO)


We moved from Pattaya to Bangkok on 2nd day and on the 3rd day the tour agency brought us to Ayutthaya which is approximately 80km away from Bangkok.

I highly recommend to get a tour guide to bring you around explaining the history of this beautiful former capital of Thailand. Ayutthaya is beautiful by itself but hearing the history behind it arouse my curiosity to know more. This is the first time I forgot to take pictures of C&C, only focusing on the scenic and listen to what the tour guide was explaining.

As I'm the only foreigner in the company (all the rest are Japanese), the tour agency which my parent company arrange is a Japanese tour agency called APEX Tour & Travel (which might not be suitable for English/Chinese speaking tourist). I had to listen to the tour guide who explain in Japanese and interpret to English or Mandarin to my husband which I think I may have missed out some part when the tour guide was explaining while in the midst of translating.

Historic City of Ayutthaya is listed on UNESCO World Heritage Centre, you can read more about it via this link.

Ayutthaya was founded in 1350 and was the 2nd capital of Siamese Kingdom. A series of war were fought between Burmese and Siamese from 16th century. Ayutthaya was attacked and completely destroyed by the Burmese army in April 1767 which forced the inhabitants to abandon the city and move downriver to establish a new capital which is now known as Bangkok.

It was once the world's largest and most cosmopolitan urban areas and a center of global diplomacy and commerce. It makes me ponder about what lies ahead of us as nothing remain the same forever...



















The former glory

The former glory

Only this building was restored and it give us a glimpse of how the kingdom looks like before it was ruined




No comments :

Post a Comment